As promised yesterday I’m sharing this very simple and fun dessert idea for the Fourth of July. My kids had so much fun helping make this and I must say- the photos don’t do it justice! Fondue and kebabs are both wonderful crowd pleasers. I’ve made other variations for the Fourth over the years. I have also enjoyed making the typical flag cake (with the appropriate colored berries representing Old Glory). I think I’ve really got the best of all of these worlds with this holiday idea.
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- ½ angel food cake
- 1 cup chocolate fondue
- medium bamboo skewers
- Rinse and dry berries.
- Remove tops from strawberries and cut in half if they are large.
- Cut crust off angel food cake then cube into 1½” pieces.
- Recruit some kids to help put the skewers together to form a flag pattern: make several sticks that are just strawberry-cake-strawberry-cake-strawberry-cake-strawberry-cake and then make a few sticks that are a row of blueberries (4-6 depending on size)-cake-strawberry-cake-strawberry.
- Stack the skewers on a rectangular platter to resemble the flag.
If you haven’t done so yet, don’t forget to register to win a Amazon gift card with the link from yesterday’s post! And don’t forget your picnic basket!