2. Check the expiration date on everything you use. In addition to adding a bad flavor some ingredients if expired will prevent the necessary chemical reactions from occurring.
3. When a recipe calls for eggs, the large size is normally what they are referring to.
4. The oven should be pre-heated before you place your food in it to cook. For most ovens this will require 10-20 minutes.
5. Don’t forget to set the timer. We’re all so busy it is easy to get distracted and forget to watch the clock.
6. When baking cakes it is best to have your eggs and other ingredients at room temperature before mixing.
7. Store all dry ingredients in airtight containers.
8. Mix dry ingredients with a whisk before adding wet ingredients.
And more tips are available: http://tipnut.com/cake-baking-tips/ or at http://www.countryliving.com/cooking/about-food/cake-baking-and-decorating-tips-and-tricks